THRUST’s overarching goal is simple: to unlock the potential the maritime industry has, to transition towards a zero-footprint industry. As with most meaningful goals, this is easier said than done.
We believe change in the sector can be brought about through three key focus areas, which is why most of our ventures apply varying degrees of all three:
- Hydrogen will play a vital role in enabling the use of renewable energy sources to their full potential and in ushering in a truly zero-emission shipping world.
- Phasing out harmful emissions altogether can only be achieved by using 100% renewable energy.
- Circularity is becoming a key consideration in all industries.
- The transition to circular life cycles entails reimagining the entire value chain, from a ship’s design, the re-use of its parts, and its end-of-life management.
- Enabling infrastructure is key to ensuring accessibility of alternative fuels and circular practices.
- This will include innovation in green-hydrogen production; electrification of port operations; global accessibility to hydrogen-based fuels and digitalization of relevant operations.
We prototype zero-emission transportation in cities
We are currently working towards converting one of the iconic Watertaxis in Rotterdam to run on 100% fossil fuel free technologies.
The zero-emission watertaxi will be ready to set sail in 2021!
In 2018 we launched Future Proof Shipping B.V.
FPS B.V. offers commercial, technical and financial services and is currently developing a pilot that will demonstrate zero-emission transport of container cargo between the Netherlands and Belgium.
FPS aims to be the first to pilot a hydrogen-fuel cell combination for the main propulsion system at large scale.
We develop circular solutions for the maritime sector
From selecting sustainable building materials and modular ship designs ready to adopt technological breakthroughs, to circular dismantling technologies that can re-purpose materials into sustainable products once a vessel reaches the end of its economic life – adopting circular economy principles requires a systemic shift in thinking.
Circularity is an essential component of the transition towards a sustainable maritime sector. Together with partners we are building a venture based on these principles.
We're building a business case for a transition to renewables
We have bold ambitions!
We are currently building business cases for the energy transition at sea by capitalising on the unique characteristics of specific locations, existing off-shore expertise and our commercial spirit.
We're exploring which fuels can propel the maritime transport sector towards zero harmful emissions
To achieve a fossil fuel free maritime industry we are investigating alternative fuels to accommodate the needs of the sector without any harmful emissions.
We are working with world leading scientists to make this happen.
THRUST Impact Model
We developed our impact model to help organisations choose the right zero emission fuel and technology for their ships.
This easy-to-use model provides tailored and unbiased information to stakeholders helping users to calculate the comprehensive cost of a journey. This is more than just the cost of fuel and technology, it combines a blended measure of the societal and environmental impact created.
Several transition scenarios towards a fossil fuel free maritime sector can be selected, ranging from a conservative transition speed, to an accelerated one.