- offers a significantly lower pollution potential (SOx, NOx and PM) compared to diesel
- can be produced from biomass
- production fills the air with GHG’s in the amounts comparable to the emissions of internal combustion engines
- absorbs H2O from air and thus has can became corrosive
- is difficult to vaporize so is blended with other fuels
- attracts water (hygroscopic) which means that extra measures must be taken in shipping and storage
Ethanol is the principal alcohol found in beverages with the formula C2H6O. It is a volatile, flammable, colourless liquid with a slight chemical odour. It is also used as an antiseptic, a solvent and a fuel.
Due to the emissions during production and challenges for it to be used as a fuel, especially in shipping, it is less interesting than methanol regarding maritime application.